首頁 > LEAP簡介
The 2017 LEAP Program Brochure The Second Batch
I. Program introductionIn order to cultivate high-level scientific, technological, innovative and entrepreneurial talents in Taiwan, to connect the high-quality talents with the world and to establish our innovation platform, the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) launches the "LEAP Program”, by which innovative and entrepreneurial doctoral and high-level talents are selected and sent to study in the new ventures or cooperation projects in the U.S., France and Israel for 6 to 12 months. It is hoped that through this program, we can cultivate high-quality talents for Taiwan, lift up their abilities in strategic thinking and entrepreneurship, help them participate in local innovative and entrepreneurial activities and related community activities, and establish networks with innovative resources worldwide. And they will make contributions to the industries in Taiwan after they return home from study/training.
II. Executive organizations1. The program is run by the LEAP Program Office of Scientific and Technological Policy Research and Information Center, National Applied Research Laboratories.
2. To make sure the transparency of the selection process, each selection phase of the scheme will be selected by "Selection Committee" composed of experts in relevant fields and enterprise representatives invited by the LEAP Program Office.
III. Eligibility1. Nationality: Applicants should have nationality of Taiwan (R.O.C.).
2. Age: The age of applicants has to be under 40
- Applicants with Ph.D. degree in all academic areas are welcome (background of ten major innovative industries including the Asia silicon valley development plan, intelligent machinery, green energy technology, biomedicine, national defense, new agriculture, circular economy, digital economy, cultural innovation, and semiconductors and IC design are preferred)
- Applicants who do not have Ph.D. degree will be considered if submitting working experience is related to governmental development of technology, and also with special achievement (including but not limited to awards of science and technology innovation competitions, outstanding academic research and development achievement, leading experience of R&D projects in public or private sector, specific achievement of innovation and entrepreneurship, etc.)
5. The LEAP program will subsidize applicants who have never been granted any governmental subsidy to overseas in priority. Program fellows can only be granted with subsidy once by LEAP program including Enterprise Group and Academic Group.
IV. Categories descriptionThe details of【Enterprise Group】and【Academic Group】are as following:
- The program cooperates with international farsighted companies in above-mentioned countries or start-up companies with potentials. The program fellows participate in the R&D with advanced technology in the company or join their start-up process.
- By participating in R&D of cutting-edge technology or linking with new venture resources for one year in above-mentioned countries, they will make contribution to the industries in Taiwan and to promote innovation transformation of Taiwan industries after the study/training ends.
- We collaborate with internationally renowned institutions and research institutes to provide our trainees with the knowledge and practical experience in technology commercialization, to help our program fellows participate in the research and development of specific cutting-edge technologies and to assist our program fellows in linking related entrepreneurial resources in and out of the academic institutions.
- To participate in or engage in new venture promotion after returning to Taiwan in order to accelerate the application of scientific and technological R&D results.
V. Application and Deadline
- Applicants are required to apply online at http://leap.stpi.narl.org.tw
- The deadline for application this year is April 30, 2018. Any late registration/application after the date is not allowed and not accepted.
- Please fill out the online application form completely and accurately with Mandarin Chinese and English as required for subsequent review.
- Applicants will not be able to modify the registration/application data after the deadline of online registration/application.
VI. Review Process and MatchmakingThe application review is going to be conducted once or twice per year. There is only Enterprise Group open for this batch in 2018
1. 【Enterprise Group】
The review process and timeline is as following:
Applicant can choose the companies when applying to this group.
◊ Written review
The participated companies review applicants' written documents which have been submitted to online system. Phone or video interview will be requested if necessary. According to the application review and evaluation, 160-240 qualified applicants will be selected.
◊ LEAP local training camp
The qualified applicants who have passed the written review process are invited to participate in three-day-and-two-night LEAP local training camp. During the activity, the qualified applicants will interact with companies and meet the representatives with different scenario for interview and matchmaking.
According to the matching results, the list of selected fellows will be announced by the LEAP program website in July 2018. The selected fellows will sign the contract with the LEAP Program Office, and participate in the overseas training. The LEAP Program Office and the host companies will assist program fellows applying VISA before the overseas training starts.
VII. Subsidy1. Subsidy manner
◊ The internship fund is NT$1,500,000 (at most) for cost-of-living supplement of 1 year.
During the period of internship, the fund will be issued in milestone model in two installments:
◊ First stage: After the program fellows sign the contract, the admissions will grant the fund for the first 6 months.
◊ Second stage: After submitting the mid-term report, the admissions will grant the rest of the fund.
VIII. Right and Obligation
- The announced selected fellows (refer to "the program fellows") should sign the contract with the LEAP Program Office. If they fail to sign the contract on time, they renounce the right to join this program and the training in the above-mentioned countries.
- The study/training start date is influenced by visa schedule, so the definite time to go abroad is set according to VISA documents when the fellows enter the above-mentioned countries. The fellows should arrive the matching research institutions/companies no later than 3 months once the selected fellows list has been announced.
- During the training span, if the program fellows do not attend the training program for some reasons except that the program or research institutions agree and force majeure, they will be disqualified to get the allowance and should return the allowances they have got and be responsible for breaching the contract. Please refer to specifications in the contract.
- The program fellows should attend the final review and submit the final report after the internship ends, according to the agreement signed with STPI.
- The program fellows have duties to return to and serve in our country within five years after the training ends. The time span of serving in our country should be the same with the time span of accepting the subsidy. If there is any breach, the program fellows should return the total amount of the living subsidies. Executive organizations claim all rights in accordance with the law.
- The MOST and the LEAP Program Office will not arrange any jobs for the program fellows after the training ends. Either working in private companies or in public departments will be considered as accepted.
- For Enterprise Group, the patent and intellectual property rights generated during the training at the company shall belong to the company. For Academic Group, the ownership of the patent and intellectual property rights generated during the training shall be determined according to the terms and conditions set up by the program fellows and the research institutions.
- The Enterprise Group fellows, according to the agreement, should submit the above-mentioned countries’ innovation trend report of science and technology development in accordance with their study and profession background after the study/training program ends.
- The Academic Group fellows, according to the agreement, should attend the academic conferences twice and other medical-related social events. In two years, he/she must meet the requirements of making public speeches and lectures with a minimum of 8 hours.
IX. Other points for attention
- The number of the program fellows to overseas training is determined by Selection Committee and the training companies abroad.
- If you want to learn more about the program and other announcements, please visit the LEAP program website:
Contact window: The LEAP Program office
Contact phone: 02-2737-7629; 02-2737-7768
Address: 1F, No. 106, Sec. 2, Heping E. Rd., Da’an Dist., Taipei City 10636, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
- If there are matters not covered above, any amendment and announcement is subject to change by the LEAP program office.