首頁 > LEAP簡介
The 2017 LEAP Program Brochure The Second Batch
I. Program introductionIn order to cultivate high-level scientific, technological, innovative and entrepreneurial talents in Taiwan, to connect the high-quality talents with the world and to establish our innovation platform, the Ministry of Science and Technology (MOST) launches the "LEAP Program,” by which innovative and entrepreneurial doctoral talents are selected and sent to study in the new ventures or cooperation projects in the U.S., France and Israel for 6 to 12 months. Those startup companies and projects are either invested or sponsored by well-known academic institutions or high-tech enterprises, the MOST and other government departments, or the SVT Angels (SVTA). It is hoped that through this program, we can cultivate high-quality talents for Taiwan, lift up their abilities in strategic thinking and entrepreneurship, help them participate in local innovative and entrepreneurial activities and related community activities, and establish networks with innovative resources worldwide. And they will make contributions to the industries in Taiwan after they return home from study/training.
II. Executive organizations1. The program is run by the LEAP Program office of Scientific and Technological Policy Research and Information Center, National Applied Research Laboratories.
2. To make sure the transparency of the selection process, each selection phase of the scheme will be selected by "Selection Committee" composed of experts in relevant fields and enterprise representatives invited by the LEAP program office.
III. Eligibility1. Nationality: Applicants should have nationality of Taiwan (R.O.C.).
2. Age: The age of applicants needs to be under 40
- Applicants have Ph.D. degree and all academic areas are welcome (backgrounds of ten major innovative industries are preferred).
- Applicants who do not have Ph.D. degree will be considered if submitting working experience related with governmental development of technology, also special achievement on (including but not limited to with awards of science and technology innovation competitions, with outstanding academic research and development achievement, with leading experience of R & D projects in public or private sector, with specific achievement of innovation and entrepreneurship, etc.)
IV. Categories descriptionThe details of【Enterprise group】and【Academic group】are as follows:
- The program cooperates with farsighted companies in above-mentioned countries or start-up companies with potential. The program fellows participate in the R&D with advanced technology in the company or join their start-up process.
- By participating in R&D of cutting-edge technology or linking with new venture resources for one year in above-mentioned countries, they will make contribution to the industries in Taiwan and to promote innovation transformation of Taiwan industries after the study/training ends
- We collaborate with internationally renowned institutions and research institutes to provide our trainees with the knowledge and practical experience in technology commercialization, to help our trainees participate in the research and development of specific cutting-edge technologies and to assist our trainees in linking related entrepreneurial resources in and out of the academic institutions.
- To participate in or engage in new venture promotion after returning to Taiwan to accelerate the application of scientific and technological R&D results.
V. Application and Deadline
- Applicants are required to apply online at ：http://leap.stpi.narl.org.tw
- The deadline for application this year is October 6th, 2017. Any late registration/application after the date is not allowed and not accepted.
- Please fill out the online application form completely and accurately using Mandarin Chinese and English as required for subsequent review.
- Applicants will not be able to modify the registration/application data after the deadline of online registration/application
VI. Review Process and MatchmakingThe application review is going to be conducted one or two times per year. Approximately 100 fellows will be selected at this batch, including 8 fellows of the academic group
Applicant can choose the companies when applying to this group.
◊ Written review
The participated companies review applicants' written documents which have been submitted to on-line system. Phone or video interview will be requested if necessary. According to the application review and evaluation, 160-240 qualified applicants will be selected
◊ LEAP local training camp
The qualified applicants who have passed the written review process are invited to participate in three-day-and-two-night LEAP local training camp. During the activity, the qualified applicants will interact with companies and meet the representatives in different scenes with the expectation of matchmaking.
According to the matching results, the selected fellows list will be announced in December 2017. The selected fellows will sign the contract with the LEAP program office, and participate in the overseas training. The LEAP program office will assist trainees applying VISA before the overseas training starts.
VII. Subsidy1. Coverage
◊ The program will subsidize the tuition during the study in the research institutions.
◊ The living subsidy is NT$1,500,000 (at most) for cost-of-living supplement of 1 year, not including the insurance expenses. The allowance will be issued in proportion to the fellows whose study time is less than one year.
2. Model of issuing
During the study span, the living allowance will be issued in milestone model in two installments：
◊ First stage: After the selected fellows sign the contract with the LEAP program office, the admissions will be granted for the former 6 months.
◊ Second stage: After submitting the mid-term report, the admissions will be granted in the second stage.
VIII. Right and Obligation
- The announced selected fellows (refer to "the program fellows") should sign the contract with the LEAP program office. If they fail to sign the contract on time, they renounce the right to join this program and the training in the above-mentioned countries.
- The study/training operating is influenced by visa schedule, so the definite time to go abroad is set according to visa documents when the fellows enter the above-mentioned countries. The fellows should arrive the matching research institutions/companies not late than 3 months since the selected fellows list has been announced.
- During the training span, if the selected fellows do not attend the training program for some reasons except that the program or research institutions agreed and force majeure, they will be disqualified to get the allowance and should return the allowances they got and pay damages according to the contract. Please refer to specifications in the contract.
- When the program fellows' training ends, they should participate in final examination and submit a study report and an achievement report.
- The program fellows have duties to return to and serve in our country in five years after the training ends. The time span of serving in our country should be same with the time span of accepting the allowance. If there is any breach, the program fellows should return the total amount of the living subsidies; moreover, the fellows in Academic group should return the tuition. Executive organizations claim all rights in accordance with the law.
- The MOST and the LEAP program office will not arrange any jobs for the program fellows after the training ends. Either working in private companies or in public departments will be considered as accepted.
- For Enterprise group, the patent and intellectual property rights generated during the training at the company shall belong to the company. For Academic group, the ownership of the patent and intellectual property rights generated during the training shall be determined according to the terms and conditions set up by the program fellows and the research institutions.
- The program fellows should provide the above-mentioned countries’ innovation of science and technology development trend in accordance with their study and profession background during the training in the above-mentioned countries.
IX. Other points for attention
- The number of the selected fellows to overseas training is determined by selection committee and the training companies abroad.
- If you want to learn more about the program and other announcements, please visit the LEAP program website:
Contact window: The LEAP Program office
Contact phone: 02-2737-7629; 02-2737-7768
Address: 1F, No. 106, Sec. 2, Heping E. Rd., Da’an Dist., Taipei City 10636, Taiwan (R.O.C.)
- If there are matters not covered above, any amendment and announcement is subject to change by the LEAP program office.