Each batch usually takes 3 months to select candidates, and also take another 3 months to conduct all the administration procedure. Therefore, from the selection process, it usually takes 6 months. Additionally, admitted trainees will take time to process the visa application. As for the specific timeline of each batch, please check the detail information on the Host Company home page.
- Main communication Channel: By Email
Email will be a main communication way to work together for the host companies with LEAP Program Office, so please acknowledge LEAP Program Office mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Communication Channel: Email, Landline, Linkedin
LEAP Program Office held two batches in a year, the timeline is around March and July, the accurate time will be announced on the Host company home page or click the link Subscribe to be Host Companies below to fill in your company contact information. When the timeline is approaching, the LEAP Program Office would send you a reminder email to tell you how to apply for being a Host Company.
The location of the Host Company
Though LEAP Program is a global talent program, however, due to policy, right now we only could partner with the companies in France, Israel, and U.S.
Additionally, align with Taiwan industry development policy, LEAP Program Office particularly would like to partner with those companies in Internet of things, semiconductors and IC design, biomedical, smart machinery, digital economy, green energy, defense, new agriculture, circular economy, and cultural technology innovation field.
Prospective Host organizations have to:
- Prepare a training plan
- Provide a suitable workspace and equipment
- Offer ongoing supervision and evaluation
- Hold an Employer Identification Number or Federal Tax Identification Number
- Provide trainees with access to opportunities for cultural exchange
- Provide at least 32 hours per week of training
- Applicants of LEAP Program must be under the age of 40.
People with a Ph.D. degree. Those who do not have a Ph.D. degree will be considered if their work experience is related to the governmental policy of technology development, or with other special achievements.
Backgrounds of innovative industries including the Internet of things, semiconductors and IC design, biomedical, smart machinery, digital economy, green energy, defense, new agriculture, circular economy and cultural innovation are preferred.
The whole LEAP Program selection process would collaborate with the host companies, and the companies would have the right to interview and choose the candidates.
- The Visa Category and Funding of U.S
In the U.S, LEAP trainee visa category will be J-1 Trainee, and MOST will help the Host Company deal with the VISA application, and will be responsible for VISA application fee as well as relevant insurance fee.
For the visa application process, the Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE), an authorized agency designated by the U.S. Department of State for the J-1 Visa Program, will contact both the Host Company and the trainee regarding the subsequent Visa procedures once the announcement is made.
- The Visa information of France
In France, regarding the French regulation, LEAP trainee visa category will be Talent Passport (passeport talent). When applying for the Talent Passport, the trainee would have to provide a work contract indicating the minimum salary*. As a consequence, the salary must be paid by the host company, and the subsidy from MOST cannot be counted since it is granted directly by the MOST to the laureate.
Please be aware that only the French company is responsible for delivering to the trainee a work contract in line with the Talent Passport criteria. And LEAP Program Office will also assist LEAP trainee(s) to apply for VISA with Bureau Français de Taipei.
(*) minimum salary amount: salary equivalent to 1.5 times SMIC in minimum 12 months
- The Visa information of Israel
In Israel, according to the State regulation, LEAP trainee visa category will be B-1 Work Visa. The B-1 Work Visa requires the company to provide the trainee a work contract with a salary double the average wage. In other words, although MOST will provide the individual LEAP trainee(s) grants, the company still has to pay the trainee salary and a work contract in line with the B-1 Work Visa. LEAP Program Office will also assist LEAP trainee(s) to apply for VISA from Israel Economic and Cultural Office in Taipei.
Should you have any further questions, please contact LEAP Program office for more information. email@example.com
Regarding to LEAP Program Office is based in Taiwan, and the host companies located in U.S, France, Israel. The whole communication and administration process of LEAP Program would conduct in the air. If the host companies could be aware of the following notifications, it would help both parties have a pleasant collaboration.
1. Be aware of LEAP Program Administration timeline and E-mails
LEAP Program Office would release the timeline of each batch on the Host company home page and send reminders while the significant milestone is approaching, we would need your assistance to confirm and coordinate the following administrative work.
Some host companies email system would block LEAP Program Office mail as a spam mail, so please check the spam mail from time to time, particularly the date is approaching each timeline.
The timeline would be like the following flow chart for your reference.
2. Company Information, Candidate interview, Trainees on Board Administration are three of the most important procedures that LEAP Program office need the host company to collaborate closely.
3. Please inform LEAP Program Office the Substitute contact
While the main contact of your company for LEAP Program on vocation or he/she is no longer in the company, please do remember to inform LEAP Program Office who is the substitute contact, in order to keep being informed during the selection process.
- The training plan and welfare plan will be decided by the Host Company and the trainee. However, it is very important to obey the laws and regulations in the country and the state the trainee will be staying in. LEAP Program Office would not intervene the discussion regarding fees, costs, welfare and so on. Nevertheless, Host Company shall comply with local and domestic regulation regarding this matter.
- During the one-year internship, the Host Company is excepted to provide trainees mentorship. And Leap Program expects the Host Company could provide a safe and positive working environment as well as reasonable working equipment for the trainee.
The patent generated during the training at the host company shall belong to the host company.
After the training period, LEAP Program Fellows are obliged to return to and serve in Taiwan within five years. The time span of serving in Taiwan should be as long as the training period of accepting the subsidy.
Host companies can choose their ideal candidates. However, the final matchmaking result will be determined by the final review of MOST Committee.